High School Resource: A Look in the Mirror
High School Resource
A Look in the Mirror
In this activity, students will gain valuable knowledge in the important role that personal reflection plays in the development and implementation of career goals.
- Teacher informs students that personal reflection is crucial in all successful career endeavors and gives examples.
- Students are informed that a person must know “who they are” and what interests, skills, and talents they possess in order to meet career goals.
- Students are presented with the following statement:
“If I always look in the mirror and am not afraid to contemplate, to seek answers, and to be open to new ideas, I will be wiser and more educated, thus making me more successful in my career.”
- Students discuss the statement and explain what it means. Then, they identify if they agree or disagree, providing rationale for their answers.
- After discussion, students are directed to answer the following questions in brief essay format:
- “Who am I really (e.g., son/daughter, sister/brother, friend, student, worker)?” “What do I stand for?” “What is important to me?”
- “What kind of a citizen am I now, and what kind of citizen do I want to be in adulthood?”
- “How are my career goals impacted by my beliefs and actions?
- Upon completion of essay, students participate in an informal classroom discussion to reinforce learning.
Related NY State Academic Standards: W.9-10.4, W.9-10.6, W.9-10.8, and more!
Be sure to check out our Educational Resources, featuring thousands of activities, lesson plans, constructed-response questions, rubrics, teacher resources, multimedia, and more!