Elementary School Resource
In this activity, students will participate in the national “Take Your Child to Work Day.”
- “Take Your Child to Work Day” (TYCWD) describes a structure for learning before, during, and after the job-shadowing day.
- Teacher identifies the students taking part in TYCWD approximately one to two weeks before the date.
- Teacher invites these students to a pre-TYCWD meeting. At this meeting, students complete a life skills inventory sheet.
- Teacher shows a video about workplace skills and behavior. Students list skills used in video excerpts and/or role-play, showing workplace scenarios.
- On the day of the shadowing, students observe skills being used on the job and list them on the graphic organizer form.
- Students schedule and conduct an interview at the work site and take notes.
- Teacher holds a post-TYCWD meeting. In small groups or in pairs, students discuss their job-shadowing experience before whole group sharing.
- Students write thank-you notes, using the thank-you note graphic organizer.
Related NY State Academic Standards: W.3.7, SL.3.3, W.4.2.d, and more!
Be sure to check out our Educational Resources, featuring thousands of activities, lesson plans, constructed-response questions, rubrics, teacher resources, multimedia, and more!