Study the Seasons
Study the seasons in your classroom with this week’s free educational resources aligned to NY State Academic Standards only on NYLearns!
In this learning experience/unit from St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES, students will review and brainstorm the signs of autumn through a PowerPoint presentation/ lesson with embedded video clips.
- collectively brainstorm seasonal changes in autumn
- complete a Kidspiration graphic organizer
- write three paragraphs on the seasonal changes in autumn
Related NY State Academic Standards: ELA1.E.LR1C, ELA1.E.SW2F, ELA1.E.SW2G
In this learning experience/unit from NYSATL, carry out a coordinated investigation in math and science of the changing patterns of the length of day from a global perspective.
- experience real–life multi-step tasks that would encourage critical thinking and analysis
- expand their reasoning and make a connection between mathematics, science, and other disciplines
- experience the power in technology as a tool for analyzing data
Related NY State Academic Standards: MST1.I.MA2.1, MST1.I.MA3.1, MST1.I.SI1.1, MST1.I.SI1.4, MST1.I.SI3.1, and more!
In this learning experience/unit, students will choose or be assigned a location and use the internet to research climate patterns and predict climate for their specified location.
- visit the Latitude/Longitude Position Finder to locate the general area of their assigned position on the U.S. map
- identify and log the climate zone of their location
- record appropriate weather data in their weather log
Related NY State Academic Standards: MST4.I.PS2.2, MST4.C.ES.PS2.1, MST4.C.ES.PS2.2, MST4.I.PS2B.05.01, MST4.I.PS2B.05.02, and more!
Also be sure to check out our Featured Content Archive, featuring thousands of activities, constructed-response questions, lesson plans, rubrics, teacher resources, multimedia, and more!