Free Resources From Discovery Education, BOCES, and the NY State Department of Education.
Each week, the NYLearns content team features free educational resources aligned to NY State Academic Standards for elementary, middle school, and high school teachers. This week, we’re featuring content from Discovery Education, BOCES, and the NY State Department of Education.
In this lesson, students will learn about geography, environment, and human culture.
- look at physical maps and their functions
- read a physical map of South America
- create a physical map of a portion of the Andes
- research and present oral reports on a specific region of the mountain range
Related NY State Academic Standards: SS.E.3, SS.E.3.1, SS.E.3.1B, SS.E.3.1E
In this activity, students will communicate with a pen pal from a country that speaks the language they are studying.
- write letters with a pen pal
- exchange various information about themselves
- use multimedia to interact and communicate
Related NY State Academic Standards: CDOS.I.2.1.A, CDOS.I.3a.BS.1.A, CDOS.I.3a.TS.2.A, CDOS.I.3a.TE.5.A, CDOS.I.3a.MR.7.A
In this unit, students will practice French grammar by writing journal entries in French.
- write journal entries–in French–as fictional characters
- enter one journal entry every week throughout the school year
- complete a dossier handout–in French–that characterizes their journal character
- e.g., age, nationality, employer, education, etc.
Related NY State Academic Standards: LOTE.ML.1.1.C.C, LOTE.ML.1.2.C.B, LOTE.ML.1.2.C.C, LOTE.ML.1.2.C.D, LOTE.ML.2.1.C.C, LOTE.ML.2.1.C.D
Be sure to check out our Featured Content Archive, featuring thousands of activities, constructed-response questions, lesson plans, rubrics, teacher resources, multimedia, and more!