Middle School Resource: Veterans Day Observance
Middle School Resource
Veterans Day Observance
- Students will gain an awareness of various employment opportunities at a hospital.
- Students will become aware of the importance of veterans.
In this activity:
- Students write letters to local veterans’ medical facilities, inviting them to send representatives to their class.
- Teacher works with hospital staff to ensure that representatives from various departments visit the class.
- Medical center representatives provide information on employment opportunities and educational requirements.
- Students write to patients at the veterans’ hospital to invite them to speak to the class.
- Invited veterans give oral presentations on military experiences and government programs for veterans.
- Hold a social following the assembly.
- Students conduct additional research on services or lack of services for veterans.
- Students write thank-you notes to visitors.
- Students write letters about veterans’ concerns to local, state, and national political leaders.
Related NY State Academic Standards: W.7.4, W.7.7, SL.7.1, and more!
Be sure to check out our Educational Resources, featuring thousands of activities, lesson plans, constructed-response questions, rubrics, teacher resources, multimedia, and more!