High School Resource: Poe’s Vocabulary in “The Bells”
High School Resource
Poe’s Vocabulary in “The Bells”
For this activity, use a dictionary to look up the CAPITALIZED words and write a definition. The words are given in the poem’s format so students should try to understand the meaning of the word by applying it in context.
- Hear the SLEDGES with the bells
- In a sort of RUNIC rhyme
- the MOLTEN-golden notes
- a DITTY floats
- a gush of EUPHONY
- BRAZEN bells
- they scream out their AFFRIGHT
- in a mad EXPOSTULATION
- a RESOLUTE endeavor
- on the BOSOM of the PALPITATING air
- solemn thought their MONODY compels
- the MELANCHOLY meaning of the tone
- they are GHOULS
- a PAEAN from the bells
- Keeping time as he KNELLS
Related NY State Academic Standards: ELA2.I.LR1D and ELA2.C.LR1D!
Be sure to check out our Educational Resources, featuring thousands of activities, lesson plans, constructed-response questions, rubrics, teacher resources, multimedia, and more!