Learn About Human Rights and Community Issues
Learn about human rights and community issues with this week’s free educational resources from Career Development & Occupational Studies, aligned to NY State Academic Standards only on NYLearns!
In this activity, students will learn that supermarkets provide products and services as well as learn to plan, shop for, and make soup for a local soup kitchen.
- engage in a community service project—making soup for a local soup kitchen
- visit a local supermarket where a representative takes them on a tour
- make the soup for the soup kitchen with the assistance of the teacher and cafeteria staff
Related NY State Academic Standards: CDOS.E.1.1.C, CDOS.E.2.1.A, CDOS.E.2.1.B, CDOS.E.2.1.C, and more!
In this activity, students will become more aware of community issues and possible solutions.
- develop surveys for the community on various community issues
- survey the community and seek community issues
- research the issues and brainstorm possible solutions
Related NY State Academic Standards: ARTS.VA.I.1.1.B, CDOS.I.2.1.A, CDOS.I.3a.BS.1.A, CDOS.I.3a.TS.2.A, and more!
In this activity, students will apply the ideals of the Helsinki Agreement to the news, a novel (In the Time of the Butterflies), and themselves.
- read In the Time of the Butterflies
- read the handout about the Helsinki Agreement and put it in their own words
- identify five times when basic human rights were unprotected in the novel In the Time of the Butterflies
Related NY State Academic Standards: CDOS.C.2.1.A, CDOS.C.2.1.B, CDOS.C.2.1.C, CDOS.C.3a.TS.2.A, and more!
Also be sure to check out our Featured Content Archive, featuring thousands of activities, constructed-response questions, lesson plans, rubrics, teacher resources, multimedia, and more!